Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Battling the Blues

There have been times in my life that I've been very down...like maybe depressed.
The first time I noticed it was when I had Madilyn. She was colicky, I was so exhausted. I never got on medication, because sleep seemed to work, but wow. Feeling down is no good.
The next time I felt that down was the first winter we spent in Erie. First off, the sun doesn't come out for weeks at a time. Second, I was lonely. And, I learned that I had to be proactive to battle the blues before they hit me.
Seriously, take a girl who's been raised for 29 years of her life in sunny, blue skies and bring her to a place that 3/4 of the year is raining, snowing and/or overcast. They don't call it "Dreary Erie" for no reason. I wasn't prepared for how the weather might affect my mood/outlook, but when you don't see the sunshine for days on end, it can really start to mess with you.
I have been reading this book called: "Desperate: Hope for the Mom who Needs to Breathe," by Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson. The book addresses lots of issues that moms go through. It's a young mom of small children writing letters to an older mentor, who has already raised her children. The advice is timeless and priceless.
In the chapter I just read, it discussed feeling down or depressed*. I have a few friends that have voiced to me over the years that they, too, have had moments of feeling down. It's more common than most people ever discuss.
I found the advice in the book to be GOLDEN, so I thought I'd pass it along just in case someone else might need the tips.
Here are the questions they list as things to ask yourself when you're feeling down from "Desperate" (which is so good, you should really buy it yourself!):
1. Do I need sleep? (this can really change your outlook!)
2. Have I been reading my Bible? (we all need to hear from God)
3. Do I feel alone? (if so, call a friend)
4. Am I watching my health? (exercise is a great stress reliever)
5. How can I get help? (don't be afraid to ask friends and family for relief from daily duties for an hour or two)
6.What do I need to do to invest in the joy factor in my life? (As women, we like to make things beautiful. Should you light a candle, turn on your favorite music or get some fresh flowers?)

During the gloomy winters here, there are times that I turn on the lamps, light a nice candle, play some Frank Sinatra and bake cookies. To each his own :)

These are all such basic principles, but they really seem to change the environment around you if you apply them. As women, we must stick together, encourage each other and not be afraid to ask for help. We are all in this walk together.

If you struggle and want me to remember you in my prayers, just let me know. As I fight to keep myself from being discouraged, I will fight for you, too.

*This in no way means that medications are not needed in some cases. This is more or less referring to times of feeling down, not clinical depression.

2 comments:

Christie Lee said...

Love this! Very good questions to think about. Thanks

Ashley said...

Glad it helped, Christie Lee! It's sometimes the little things that can make all the difference.