Monday, October 2, 2017

Where Do We Go From Here

As I sit here tonight, I can hear the white noise over the baby monitor. The boys are asleep. Madilyn is spending time with Cameron in her room. And I am completely heartbroken. How do you even process a world that is so evil? How do we raise children to be lights in such a dark place?
Over the weekend, our small community had a teen commit suicide after the football game (a few blocks from our home) and a teacher was killed in front of his family by an armed robber. Then, this morning, we wake up and hear the news out of Las Vegas--that THIS is the biggest mass shooting our country has ever seen. Absolutely pure evil.
Yet, I hear the still small voice inside me say, "Finally, my brothers and sisters, always think about what is true. Think about what is noble, right and pure. Think about what is lovely and worthy of respect. If anything is excellent or worthy of praise, think about those kinds of things." (Phil. 4:8) & "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Ps. 34:18) & "I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)
So, you know how I spent my day?
I prayed. I laughed with my kids. I cried a little when they weren't looking. I prayed some more. I spent time with a friend at the park. I made a new recipe that 4/5 of us liked which is a pretty good ratio here. I put down my phone. I shut off the news. And I spread love to those in my circle.
I am not promised tomorrow, but I have been given today, and I refuse to the let Terror and Fear have any of this precious time I've been given. There's too much at stake. Too much depends on me, on us, on this Light that the darkness knows will overcome it. So like a tiny little candle in a big dark room, we will shine. We will love. We will focus on the good and noble things in this world. And we will see Jesus overcome one day. Yes, we will see Him overcome.
"I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of living. Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage and He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!" Psalm 27:13-14


5 comments:

megs92 said...

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit" - thanks for sharing this; I always find such comfort in that verse. I'm so sorry to hear about your local tragedies, too. We recently had a school shooting, which took the life of one student, in a nearby rural community (Freeman High School - you may have heard of it, but school shootings get far less media coverage than they used to, so maybe not?). So I know how horrible it can be to have tragedy layered on tragedy, at the local and then national (not to mention international!) level. It's horrific.

I love, though, that you're choosing to show Christ's love to those around you, and to be the light to your circle. I've been feeling convicted, too, in the light of these tragedies - we are God's co-workers and there's so much we are called to do to protect the vulnerable and to bind up the broken-hearted. Thanks for these thoughts.

I'm so glad you're blogging again - welcome back :)

Diane Estes said...

Thank you for the reminder that what we focus on grows and that God is the light in this dark world. Focus, focus, focus. ❤️

Ashley said...

Thank you so much for your kind words. It's so tough to process evil, but if we focus on our part and how we can prove the world, it sure helps to keep functioning and moving ahead. Love you and miss you so!

Ashley said...

Yes! It was a fresh reminder to my heart to focus on what is good because it's the only way ❤

Science IT and Leisure said...

have a great day