Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Spring in January

How is it possible that winter hasn't already happened in Erie this year? It's the first part of February...and it reminds me of last May. I'm confused.
I was geared up for winter this year. And, I mean GEARED UP :) Two new pairs of warm boots, a handful of new sweaters, homemade mittens for myself...even our "all weather" floor mat has been at our front door since November because last year, winter hit me like a brick in the face.
Last winter, I remember feeling like there was 2 feet of snow on the ground the majority of the time. I remember telling my Texas friends that it snows at least once a day, whether it accumulates or not.
This winter, much different. Cameron has only shoveled snow 3 times! Earlier this week, the last day of January, the high was 59 degrees! We were outside all day long! Not that I'm complaining. I could use a winter like this...Madilyn rode her tricycle (my old tricycle!) for over an hour! We took a nice long walk! And, we played at the park!!! Totally fantastic for the end of January!
But, it's still kind of wierd :) I feel like I had to go through major heart changes to be ready for another Pennsylvania winter, and now it's not here. It's crazy the things that can affect your mood/attitude.
I've grown up in TEXAS. Land of blue skies and wide open spaces...and crazy weather. One day, 16 degrees and a foot of snow...the next 3 days, 65 degrees and sunny skies. Seriously crazy, but WONDERFUL.
God has really taught me over our time here that I cannot let circumstances dictate my mood. I have to CHOOSE peace. I have to CHOOSE love. I have to CHOOSE joy. It's not always natural...but it can be supernatural, by the power of the Holy Spirit that lives within me.
A verse that I've clung to lately has been:
"I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in Him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

No comments: