Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Body of Christ

Just to give y'all an update, I've started serving again in Children's Ministry at church!!! And, I still LOVE IT! :)
It's been since before Madilyn was born that I was ministering to kids at church, and I thought that maybe my heart had shifted or something...but as soon as I started serving again I realized once again, "I was meant to do this!"
I received some great advice from Pastor Valerie (a sweet friend and mentor) who said, "Ashley, part of the reason you still feel far from home is that you're not being used in your giftings." You see, God made each of us with something to give. We all have our own unique talents and giftings that He's placed inside of us. We are all a part of the "Body of Christ." And, when each part is functioning at full-capacity, we give so much to others and we totally reflect the way that God intended His church to be to a lost and dying world. I always like to think, "If the ankle doesn't show up and do it's part, the toes can't do theirs because the toes aren't connected without the ankle." (And, in a wierd but true way, if you are the ankle, you'd better get to the spot God has for you...the toes are waiting! :) haha)
"Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, so it is with Christ's body. We are many parts with one body, and we all belong to each other. In His grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well. So if God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out with as much faith as God has given you." Romans 12:4-6
It's amazing to me how much more "at home" I feel, even being thousands of miles from my friends, family and all that is familiar. God has given me the ability to reach kids, and I have a passion to see children saved and ministering to other kids with all the power of the Holy Spirit who is inside of them! But, I realize that this is because God put that desire inside of me.
What has God put in you? Use your talents for the glory of God and find yourself "at home," even if you're far away.
"For all creation is waiting eagerly for that future day when God will reveal who His children really are." Romans 8:19
Be who you are in Christ! The world needs you. And, creation is waiting...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

True. We are all needed, so it's important to know where we fit. But what if I don't know where I fit anymore? I know things can be different in each of the seasons in our lives, so maybe I am where I'm suppose to be - at home controlling the chaos and home schooling the kids! Just sometimes I wonder if I should be doing more...

Love ya,
Sarah

Ashley said...

Maybe you're doing what's needed, but maybe there's more, too. What's your passion? What are you gifted at?
I feel like Goad has given me the gift of encouragement...so I try to use it in whatever avenues that surround me. Obviously my family first. But, I also send notes of encouragement to people as I think of them or give someone a call and tell them that its going to be okay. It may seem small, but I really think God uses me to bring hope to those around me.
You've got a lot to give, Sarah! Even beyond the walls of your house. It may be a season of "controlling chaos," but I guarantee you're influencing more people than just your kids. Ask the Holy Spirit to remind you of your uniqueness in Him and ways you can be used in this season. You are a blessing to so many!
Love you too,
Ashley

Ashley said...

God, not Goad :)